Apple to be Carbon Neutral Across Operations, Supply Chain, Products by 2030
Apple announced today a significant expansion in its carbon reduction targets, committing to become carbon neutral across its manufacturing supply chain and product life cycle by 2030. The company has already achieved carbon neutrality for its global corporate operations.
In order to reach its new target of zero net carbon, the company plans to reduce emissions by 75%, and to develop innovative carbon removal solutions for the remaining 25 percent.
Apple CEO Tim Cook said:
“Businesses have a profound opportunity to help build a more sustainable future, one born of our common concern for the planet we share. The innovations powering our environmental journey are not only good for the planet — they’ve helped us make our products more energy efficient and bring new sources of clean energy online around the world. Climate action can be the foundation for a new era of innovative potential, job creation, and durable economic growth. With our commitment to carbon neutrality, we hope to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”
In order to provide a roadmap for other companies’ emission reduction efforts, Apple has provided details on its own initiatives. Apple’s roadmap covers multiple initiatives the company is pursuing on its path to net zero, including:
- Low carbon product design, including the use of low carbon and recycled materials, product design and innovation.
- Expanding energy efficiency, through investments in efficiency projects at suppliers, expanding the number of facilities participating in Apple’s Supplier Energy Efficiency Program, and other investments.
- Expanding use of renewable energy, with commitments from suppliers to commit to renewable energy use, and investments in renewable energy projects, such as the company’s upcoming launch of one of the largest new solar arrays in Scandinavia. Apple is already at 100% renewable energy use in its own operations.
- Process and material innovations, including supporting the development of the first-ever direct carbon-free aluminum smelting process, and partnerships with suppliers to reduce emissions from fluorinated gases.
- Carbon removal, which involves investments in reforestation and protection of forests and natural ecosystems, investments in ecosystem restoration, and working with organizations including The Conservation Fund, the World Wildlife Fund, and Conservation International.
The company also announced today the establishment of an Impact Accelerator, focused on investing in minority-owned businesses that drive positive outcomes in its supply chain and in communities that are disproportionately affected by environmental hazards. Apple stated that this initiative is part of its recently announced $100 million Racial Equity and Justice Initiative, focused on efforts that address education, economic equality, and criminal justice reform.
Lisa Jackson, Apple’s vice president of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives, said:
“We’re proud of our environmental journey and the ambitious roadmap we have set for the future. Systemic racism and climate change are not separate issues, and they will not abide separate solutions. We have a generational opportunity to help build a greener and more just economy, one where we develop whole new industries in the pursuit of giving the next generation a planet worth calling home.”