Emerson Pledges to Reach Net Zero Value Chain Emissions by 2045
Global technology, engineering, and industrial software company Emerson announced today the launch of a new climate goal to achieve net zero greenhouse gas emissions across its value chain by 2045. The company plans to reach its new goal primarily through absolute emissions reductions, with targets to reduce Scope 1, 2, and 3 emissions by 90%, and relying on high-quality carbon neutralization activities (carbon offsets) for the remaining 10%
Emerson also introduced short-term 2030 targets to reach net zero across Scope 1 and 2 emissions across its operations, and reduce Scope 3 emissions by 25%, from a 2021 baseline.
Lal Karsanbhai, Emerson’s President and Chief Executive Officer, said:
“We help enable the low-carbon transition of some of the largest companies and most critical industries around the world. Our net zero goal is a vital step forward as we evolve our business and contribute to a more sustainable world.”
The company released a detailed net zero roadmap, which includes sourcing 100% renewable electricity by 2030, using product life cycle assessments to reduce the carbon footprint across its product portfolio, integrating energy efficient solutions throughout its global operations, helping customers decarbonize the power grid through clean energy technology, and collaborating with the public sector.
Mike Train, Emerson’s Senior Vice President and Chief Sustainability Officer, said:
“In addition to the depth of our own sustainability roadmap, Emerson’s products, software and services help enable our customers, suppliers and partners to achieve their sustainability objectives. In the face of climate change, we believe driving at-scale adoption of energy transition solutions can make a net zero future a reality.”
The company stated that its 2030 goals have been approved by the Science-Based Target initiative (SBTi), one of the key organizations focused on aligning corporate environmental sustainability action with the global goals of limiting climate change, as being consistent with the 1.5°C pathway required to meet the goals of the Paris agreement. Emerson will also seek to validate its 2045 target in line with the SBTi’s Net-Zero Standard.
Emerson’s new targets were outlined in its newest ESG report, which also features long-term diversity goals to double the representation of women globally to 40% of its leadership, and U.S. minorities to 30% of its leadership by 2030.
Elizabeth Adefioye, Emerson’s Senior Vice President and Chief People Officer, said:
“The support and energy from the Board of Directors and the management team is setting the tone for the future direction and culture of Emerson. I am excited by our ESG goals and the progress we are making on so many fronts.”