Technology, consulting, and business solutions company Jacobs announced today the launch of PlanBeyond 2.0, its global sustainable business approach, aimed at integrating sustainability throughout its operations and client solutions in alignment with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Steve Demetriou, Jacobs Chair and CEO, said:
“As a purpose-led company, we know we have a pivotal role to play. We consider it not only good business but our duty to channel our expansive capabilities in resilient infrastructure, clean water, green energy, social value and beyond, toward benefitting people and the planet.”
Jacobs strategy is focused on six core SDGs: Good Health and Well-Being (SDG 3), Clean Water and Sanitation (SDG 6), Innovation, and Infrastructure (SDG 9), Reduced Inequalities (SDG 10), Sustainable Cities and Communities (SDG 11), and Climate Action (SDG 13).
According to the company, these six SDGs have been translated into actional sustainable business objectives:
- Advance the health and wellbeing of society. Jacobs is aiming to improve the mental health and wellbeing of one million lives by 2025 by supporting governments, agencies and healthcare organizations in advancing the wellbeing of society through digital transformation of health systems, retrofitting COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing facilities, and reducing water, energy and waste in the process.
- Deliver solutions for the global water and sanitation crisis. Jacobs is targeting expansion of water equity in water-stressed regions through existing and new partnerships by 2025, including its partnership with Water for People, focused on the development of water infrastructure initiatives.
- Foster a culture of technology and innovation important to the advancement of society. Through the creation of structured innovation programs and initiatives, Jacobs has committed to promoting a culture of innovation and inclusion globally. In addition, the company is planning on expanding its cyber solutions portfolio with a target of measuring the impact on 100% of its innovations to advance progress towards the SDGs by 2025. Other plans include the release of a global integrated digital strategy and creating innovative solutions through its participation in the UN Global Compact Young SDG Innovators Program.
- Create a fair and inclusive future for all. According to Jacobs, since the beginning of the Pandemic, inequality has risen by 6% in developing countries. To address this issue, Jacobs is prioritizing social value and equal opportunities for all through its Inclusion and Diversity Strategy. The company is targeting to engage its workforce in 50,000 hours of global STEAM volunteering that enhances diversity and inspires the next generation by 2025.
- Develop efficient and resilient solutions that deliver net environmental and societal gain. The company is targeting 100% of its solutions to contribute to progress against the UN SDGs by 2025.Through its infrastructure, technology and intelligence solutions, the companyis committed to creating resilient and sustainable communities around the globe. Other plans include the initiating a sustainable business design for its flagship innovation laboratory in the U.K.
- Accelerate solutions that address the climate emergency. Jacobs announced plans to become carbon negative in its operations and business travel by 2030 and has committed to supporting industry decarbonization through client collaborations and a focus on science-based targets. Jacobs plans to continue research and development efforts into clean energy technologies, including nuclear fission and small modular reactors to deliver reliable and affordable clean energy.
According to the company, the six objectives define its responsibilities for how the company and its stakeholders can support the creation of global sustainable communities.
“As our business shifts, so do our sustainability ambitions. The future of Jacobs is one that not only integrates environmental, social, and governance considerations into our operations – but into the hearts and minds of every employee and into every client solution we deliver.”