KKR Launches Council of Sustainability Experts to Advance Firm’s ESG Strategy
Global alternative asset and private equity investor KKR announced today the launch of its Sustainability Expert Advisory Council (SEAC), a six-member independent council aimed at bolstering the firm’s ESG expertise and capabilities, and advance ESG strategy and practices.
The council comprises six independent experts across key ESG issues, encompassing climate, diversity, equity, and inclusion, labor and workforce, governance and transparency, and data responsibility. SEAC will be chaired by Robert Eccles, Visiting Professor of Management Practice at the University of Oxford Saïd Business School, Founding Chairman of the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), and a founder of the International Integrated Reporting Council.
“I am honored to chair the Sustainability Expert Advisory Council alongside this group of talented and visionary sustainability experts. Cross-disciplinary collaboration is critical to advancing sustainability goals and financial institutions like KKR play a key role in this effort. I look forward to helping KKR as it continues to raise the bar for responsible investing through its thoughtful and rigorous approach to managing ESG issues.”
Other members include:
- Alexandra Givens, President and CEO of the Center for Democracy and Technology
- Nat Keohane, President of the Center for Climate and Energy Solution
- Andrew Stern, Senior Fellow, Economic Security Project and President Emeritus of the Service Employees International Union
- Roy Swan, Head of Mission Investments at the Ford Foundation and former co-head of Morgan Stanley’s Global Sustainable Finance team
- Claudia Zeisberger, Senior Affiliate Professor of Entrepreneurship and Family Enterprise at INSEAD and founder of the Global Private Equity Initiative, INSEAD’s center of excellence for Private Equity and Venture Capital
KKR has been an active investor in ESG and sustainability-focused themes, with several recent energy transition-focused investments and initiatives, and the acquisition earlier this year of a majority stake in sustainability advisory ERM. The firm has also significantly expanded its ESG capabilities, tripling the size of its ESG team over the past year, adding professionals focused on ESG integration, ESG compliance, impact measurement, data science, and reporting.
Ken Mehlman, Partner, Global Head of Public Affairs and Co-Head of Global Impact at KKR, said:
“We are thrilled to have this esteemed group of sustainability experts serve as a resource to us as we continue to further our commitment to creating shared value by aligning shareholder and stakeholder interests. I am confident that their counsel and expertise will help us continue to advance our ESG strategy and practices to the benefit of our portfolio companies, investors and employees.”